Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Sensory Bottles!

Friends, I have a confession to make. I am OBSESSED with sensory bottles! I've already made six of them for Green Room and I still want to make more. I was first inspired to make some for the week leading up to Earth Day after I read this blog: http://littlebinsforlittlehands.com/earth-day-discovery-bottles-earth-science-activity/



I was so excited to try making some of our own for Green Room. The first bottle I made was a mix of water (dyed blue), baby oil, and blue and green decorative glass pebbles.



It's fun to shake the bottle vigorously and then watch the bubbles pop as the oil slowly separates itself from the water.












I made two glitter bottles as well, one green and one blue (Earth Day colors, of course). The blogs that I consulted for these call them "Calm Down" bottles because of the calming effect of watching the glitter settle to the bottom after shaking the bottle. Clear glue mixed with the water slows down the glitter as it falls.






Baby E. particularly enjoys watching the glitter in the bottles swirling and sparkling!









I also made some color mixing sensory bottles:



These bottles are a great way to explore how different colors interact! When you shake them, the two colors mix together to create a new color. Then, as the liquid settles, it separates back into the original two colors.

Our Green Room kiddos love to carry the bottles or roll them across the floor.







For the science behind these bottles, check out the blog where I found the inspiration and instructions: http://www.preschoolinspirations.com/how-to-make-a-color-changing-sensory-bottle/

Love,
Teacher Katie